March 16, 17, 23, 24, 30 & 31, 2019
April 6, 7, 13, 14, 19 (Friday), 20 & 21, 2019
- The ONLY Seattle gray whale watching tour departing from downtown
- A perfect Seattle weekend escape and whale sightings guaranteed!*
- Expert onboard naturalist guides tour and educates passengers
- 2-hour stopover in the picturesque town of Langley on Whidbey Island
About this Trip
Share the Sound with some 35 ton visitors on a Seattle gray whale watching tour aboard the San Juan Clipper departing direct from downtown Seattle’s Pier 69 with a stopover in the picturesque town of Langley on Whidbey Island! With the guidance of Clipper Vacation’s expert onboard naturalist, you will be on the lookout for these huge special whales as they migrate north. A unique, limited time opportunity!
About Gray Whales
Gray whales can reach nearly 50 feet in length and are known to live up to 70 years! They are baleen whales that migrate between feeding and breeding grounds each year. Gray whales have a slate-gray color with unique white spotted patterns as well as two blowholes on top of their head.
The annual gray whale migration from the Baja Peninsula to the Bering Sea is a challenging, 10,000 mile journey for these great creatures. The area around Seattle and Langley on Whidbey Island is popular with the grays due to the robust shrimp population. Each March and April, the gray whales detour from their off-shore journey into the Salish Sea to feed and fuel up for the remainder of their journey to Alaska.
Journey from downtown Seattle on the San Juan Clipper into the shimmering waters of the Puget Sound to see majestic gray whales. Learn about these 35 ton mammals from your expert onboard naturalist who educates and spots sealife. Enjoy a two-hour stopover at the charming waterfront town of Langley on Whidbey Island. Explore the town’s boutique shops, art galleries and gourmet restaurants before heading back to Seattle.
- What to know before you go: Clipper whale watching FAQ
- The Ultimate Guide to Seattle Gray Whale Watching
NOTE: Please note that there is a small hill that leads from where San Juan Clipper dock up to the town. The walk from the dock to the town is approximately 10 minutes. A ADA accesible 6-passenger golf cart will be available if you need assistance ascending or descending the hill to the town.
8:15 AM – 8:45 AM: Boarding at Pier 69 downtown Seattle
9:00 AM: Depart Seattle
9:00 AM – 12:00 PM: Cruise and Whale Watching
12:00 PM: Arrive Langley, Whidbey Island – May arrive/depart 1 hour earlier if determined that whales will be viewed in the afternoon
2:30 PM: Depart Langley
4:00 PM: Arrive Seattle
*Although the overall day should not vary by much, the itinerary will remain somewhat flexible to allow for viewing the whales Northbound or Southbound, or possibly in another area, depending on where the whales happen to be feeding on those dates. Times are approximate.
Learn more about Clipper’s whale and sealife conservation and education work.
Prices vary by season. Prices listed are minimum prices per adult.
• *Whale sightings guaranteed. If we do not see whales on your day excursion, you can take another Gray Whale excursion or San Juan Islands Whale Watching Day Trip for free.
• 1 child (1-11 yrs. old) is half of applicable adult fare.
• Advanced Purchase fare requires booking at least 3 days in advance.
• Changes or cancellations received more than 7 days prior to scheduled tour origination are charged a 15% amendment/cancellation fee.
• Within 7 days prior to travel; the reservation is non-refundable, non-changeable and noncancelable.
• 10.1% Washington state sales tax not included
• Pricing in USD and may vary based on actual travel dates
• Restrictions apply, subject to change
"Amazing experience! The naturalist was extremely informative and friendly."
- Erica S.
"This was wonderful. Our naturalist kept us informed during the total excursion… We have taken many tours in many countries, and this was the most enjoyable one yet."
- Deborah K., North Dakota
"Very professional staff. Comfortable boat. Beautiful scenery and whales. What’s not to like?"
- Marty B., Olympia, WA
Seattle To San Juan Islands CruiseLearn more about Seattle To San Juan Islands Cruise