Careers with a Water View
Do you have a water view at work? Always wanted one? What about a workplace with incredible co-workers and an in-house Café with the best scrambled eggs and avocado breakfast? Clipper is calling!
We are always looking for talented people to join our team. But we want to make sure that our culture is right for you! So, ask yourself:
- How awesome are you?
- How entrepreneurial, strategic and innovative are you?
- Are you ready to learn and develop new skills?
Check out our benefits below and learn more about how much we value work-life balance and personal time.
- Free trips on the Victoria Clipper ferries!
- Generous PTO, Paid Holidays
- Comprehensive Benefit Plan
- 401(k) with company match
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Parking and transportation subsidy
- Membership to Life Balance Program
- Growing our staff through internal career opportunities
- Training opportunities (internal and external)
- Employee discount at the Clipper Café
- Travel benefits with Frontier, Harbour Air Seaplanes & Kenmore Air
- Industry rate discounts with our hotel and tour partners
- Access to Port of Seattle TightReach Exercise Facility
- 20% off at 5th Avenue Theater
See a current position below that fits your vision? Let’s have a chat!
Current Job Openings
Relief Chief Engineer
Clipper Vacations is seeking a Relief Chief Engineer/2nd Engineer to serve primarily onboard our largest vessel, the Victoria Clipper V. This is a flexible position that could be a good fit for someone seeking part-time work or looking for additional income while in Seattle between shipping rotations. Relief work is primarily needed during peak months between May and September, but additional shifts may be available in the winter months and during shipyard periods.
The position is compensated with a competitive hourly wage for all hours worked and shift range from 8 to 12+ hours with the ability to return home each evening.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (not limited to the following):
- Manage the operation of machinery aboard, including MTU 4000 engines, Volvo generators, ZF reduction gears, KaMeWa jet drives, and additional auxiliary equipment
- Perform maintenance in machinery and other technical spaces according to ship specific planned maintenance system
- Assist with scheduled/unscheduled maintenance repairs
- Perform periodical safety rounds on machinery and in other technical spaces
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- MMC license with STCW III/2 qualification (Marine Engineering at Management Level)
- US Passport and TWIC
- No DUI/DWI, negligent driving or felony convictions (this can disqualify entry to Canada)
- Pass a required Pre-Employment Drug Screen (including Marijuana) and submit to random USCG drug tests
- Complete a USCG Medical Fitness exam and obtain Cyprus seafarer’s documents (paid for by Clipper)
- Hold a Seafarer Record Book
- Able to life 70 lbs.
- Available to work any shift, including weekends and holidays
- Always punctual, reliable, a team player and strong work ethic
- Strong verbal, written and presentation skills
- Ability to travel regionally and in Canada
This is a round trip operations between Seattle and Victoria. The vessel lays up in Seattle nightly. There are no sleeping accommodations on board.
Salary Commensurate with experience
Company Overview: Clipper Navigation, Inc. dba Clipper Vacations – is well known as the travel experts for the Pacific Northwest and Western Canada. Since 1986, Clipper has provided transportation, tours and accommodation packages for over 8 million customers. Clipper Vacations offers opportunities to experience picturesque and popular destinations such as: cosmopolitan Seattle or Vancouver, quaint Victoria, the peaceful San Juan Islands, the hub of Portland, and Vancouver Island.
Disclaimer statement: This job description is intended only to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an employee in this position. It is not intended to be constructed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills or abilities required or persons so classified or assigned.
It is the policy of Clipper Navigation, Inc., not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, creed, religion, marital status, citizenship, the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, ancestry, national origin, or veteran status in its educational programs, activities or employment as required by law.
David Gudgel, Chief Executive Officer
David joined Clipper in April of 2014 as the VP of Business Development, was promoted to COO in January of 2015 and then promoted to co-CEO in May of 2017. David has been involved in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska travel industry for more than 27 years. He began his career working for Holland America Line as a tour bus driver in Juneau, Alaska as a summer job during college.
David stayed with Holland America Line in several different capacities for over 15 years, spending the last 6 of those as the General Manager for Gray Line of Seattle and Horizon Coach Lines. It was during this period that he first began working with Clipper as a partner in providing Northwest Getaways and in providing emergency services. David is a graduate of Gonzaga University and earned a B.S. in Business Administration.